Are there any tips to save energy in my San Antonio, Texas apartment?
- Replace incandescent lighting with compact fluorescent bulbs. Compact fluorescent bulbs use 20 percent of the electricity and last 10 times longer.
- With compact fluorescent bulbs, it is best to only turn off lights if you will not be using them for more than 10 or 15 minutes. Constantly turning on and off compact fluorescent lights will significantly reduce bulb life.
- Reducing the wattage of incandescent bulbs in frequently used areas.
- Save considerable energy by turning your AC off (or setting the thermostat higher) when you are not at home.
- During the summer months, set your thermostat at the highest comfortable setting. We recommend a setting of 78-80. You can save 7 to 10% on your cooling costs for each degree above 78.
- During the winter months, set your thermostat at the lowest comfortable setting. We recommend a setting of 68-70. You can save 7 to 10% on your heating costs for each degree below 70.
- Use ceiling or portable fans to supplement your air-conditioning in occupied rooms. Replace filters quarterly and do not block registers and return vents with furniture or drapes.
- Use flat bottom pans that match the size of your stove burners. Clean the oven when it’s still warm from cooking.
- Use a microwave oven when it will work just as well as another method.
- Run appliances like the dishwasher and washer/dryer only when full.
- Turn off appliances and lights when you aren’t using them.
- Turn off/unplug all small electrical equipment, such as radios, VCRs or TVs when not in use.
- Turn off the lights when leaving an empty room.
- Close your blinds during the day.
- Turn down your hot water heater.
- If you have a fireplace, close the damper when not in use.